Dr. T. Logeswari
Head of the Department, BCA
Our College is one of the premier institutions, unique like a prism reflecting the manifold shades of learning and co-curricular activities. The department of Computer Science believes that this approach to teaching-learning, coupled with practical experience gained during Industrial Training in reputed organizations, equips our students to handle the challenges posed by the software industry.
We strongly encourage innovation in research, in teaching and in service to the profession, the local community and industry. Our faculty and students are constantly striving to excel and to advance the state of the art in Computer Science. The strength of the department is highly motivated students who understand the dynamics of the industry and upgrade their skills accordingly.
New Horizon College is one of the BEST BCA Colleges in Bangalore NHCK ranked amongst the top BCA colleges in Bangalore
To impart quality education in the field of computer science and produce competent graduates with moral values committed to build a vibrant nation.
To imbibe students with technical knowledge and skill sets to meet the challenges of the industry.
To provide students with latest knowhow to solve the complex problems of the digital era.
To integrate knowledge that fosters lifelong learning and ethical values.
About the Department
The Department of Computer Application (BCA) visualizes imparting high distinction skills in software Development to excel in Software Industry and to train the students to develop the soft skills with global standards and enhance their knowledge in Information Technology.
The BCA department aims to develop academically competent and professionally motivated personals, equipped with objective and critical thinking that compassionately foster the scientific temper with a sense of social responsibility.
The BCA Department aims at providing high quality training to students through the latest and best in computer technology. In order to maintain the standard of education, the BCA department constantly upgrades the academic syllabi so as to keep the students well trained to deal with changing trends in the field of Computer Science and Technology.
The BCA department has a good record, as many students have been placed in reputed IT Companies through campus placement. The curriculum and the lab training help the students in acquiring excellence in their career.
The Hallmark of BCA Department is its stable, qualified, experienced and committed team of faculty members. The BCA department has a well-administered laboratory and a well-stocked library, with a successful track record of placement.
The BCA department also focuses on extra-curricular activities and encourages students to participate in various activities in-house as well as external.
NHCK is among the Best BCA Colleges in Bangalore
TEACHING AND LEARNING
Teaching and Learning are two sides of the same coin and need to join if the entire process has to synthesize in order to bring about desired changes in the effective pattern of understanding and learning by a student.
At present, we merge traditional use of the Chalk board with latest technology to disseminate knowledge to the students of the Institution. We also encourage the use of various media like the Over Head Projector, Slide Projectors, etc.
- The use of traditional methods of teaching coupled with technology makes the programme more student centric. Activities like Group Discussions, Seminars, Symposia, Quiz etc., makes for the better understanding of the subject at hand. Students are exposed to various channels of the electronic media, Guest lectures, Special Instructional Programmes, Gyan Darshan and Experts talk to ignite the young minds and to influence them for perfect learning.
- Special instructional programmes such as Tutorials, Remedial Coaching and Mentoring System are being practiced at an individual level to help slow learners and non performers.
- Internal Quality Assurance Cells (IQAC) is established to monitor and review the academic progress. Students’ performance is assessed through Assignments, Unit Tests, Term End Internal Examinations, while teachers’ performance is monitored through Self Appraisal Reports and Academic Performance Indicators.
- The Institution also meticulously plans and organizes updated teaching schedule with the given inputs for the benefit of the teaching and learning community.
- Student centered methods like review, questioning, quizzing, deliberations on the subject are all an integral part of the pedagogy adopted by the faculty.
- Experiential learning, Participative learning, problem solving methodologies are used to enhance learning experiences.
- e-learning resources are effectively being incorporated for effective teaching
- The learning environment is conducive for critical thinking, creativity and scientific temper.
- The Institution follows a mentor – mentee system to meet the academic and personal needs of students.
- The Institution gives due recognition to innovative and creative contributions of its faculty and students.
- Project / Field experiences are integrated into the learning programmes.
- The teaching – learning process is enhanced by the constructive feedback given to teachers on their teaching methodology.
The institution’s internal evaluation system is one such methodology adopted to identify an advanced learner. Certain mechanisms which identify their learning needs are based on the students’ curiosity to explore new avenues which is identified by their questioning skills, learning ability and quest for learning.
These advanced learners would be dealt separately and individual special attention is given to them. Over and above the curriculum taught, attempts are made to provide them with additional input, knowledge, curriculum for learning etc., by way of modules, subject, projects, skill development with hands on experience etc., so that these learners are benefitted in the process.
The support structures and systems available for teachers to develop skills for interactive learning are seminars, topic based discussions, subjective role plays, debating etc., which play an important role in the further fuelling of a students’ curiosity.
Live and vestibule projects are used for collaborative learning and group learning which helps the student in individual learning by preparing notes, assignments, participating in group discussions, activity based learning programme like exhibition, case study analysis, research activities and through presenting papers.
The institution provides various platforms for students to participate in live projects, workshops, Value added practical activities within the campus to ensure that students are always innovative and practical in approach.
Keeping in mind these two perspectives the value added courses such as ABDP, CISCO are provided along with the prescribed course of the University.
CO-CURRICULAR AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
A student will opt for one of the following activities offered by the college, in each of the first four semesters of the undergraduate programmes. The activity carries a credit each and will be internally assessed for 50 marks. The following activities are included in the CC & EC (Co-curricular and Extension activities)
- S.S. / N.C.C
- Sports and Games
- Physical Education or Activities related to Yoga
- Field studies / Industry Implant Training
- Involvement in campus publication
- Publication of articles in news papers, magazines or other publications
- Community work such as promotion of National Integrity, Environment, Human rights and duties, Peace, Civic sense etc.
- A Small project work concerning the achievements of India in various fields
- Evolution of study groups/seminar circles on Indian thoughts and ideas
- Involvement in popularization programmes such as scientific temper
- Activity exploring different aspects of Indian civilizations
- Computer assisted/web-based learning and e-library skills
- Innovative compositions and creations in music, performing and visual arts etc.
Evaluation of Co & Extra Curricular Activities shall be as per the drawn proposition and guidelines of the course / activities.
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates will be able to:
- Achieve professional competency in the field of computer science.
- Pursue higher education and constantly upgrade their technical skills.
- Demonstrate concern for the society and work towards its betterment.
Program Specific Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- PSO 1: Demonstrate basic knowledge of computer application and apply standard practice in software project development.
- PSO 2: Design and develop complex systems in the areas of Big data, IOT, Machine learning, & Image processing.
PROGRAM OUTCOME & COURSE OUTCOME
Python is a general purpose and high level programming language. Students can use Python for developing desktop GUI applications, websites and web applications. Also, Python, as a high level programming language, allows students to focus on core functionality of the application by taking care of common programming tasks.
Python is a more productive language than Java. Python is an interpretive language which is accompanied by elegant syntax, and it makes an excellent choice for scripting and rapid application development in many areas. It is a dynamically typed programming language.
Personality Development Program (PDP)
The personality development program helps in basics of presentations skills along with knowledge of body language so that they can deliver their presentations with professionalism and impact. Additionally, the program also focuses on effective time management techniques and some powerful tips on handling stress well in life. The program finally ends with a discussion on the leadership style that each participant has and how he/she can use this awareness to enhance his/her leadership skill in life. Completion of the course helps in corporate presentations and body language, stress management, time management etc. The course ended in the academic year 2015-16.
Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google. It is based on a modified version of the Linux ke rnel and other open source software, and is designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. nitially developed by Android Inc., which Google bought in 2005, Android was unveiled in 2007, with the first commercial Android device launched in September 2008. The core Android source code is known as Android Open Source Project (AOSP), and is primarily licensed under the Apache License.
Foreign Language- French/German/Japanese
There is a major demand for human resources with foreign language speakingandwriting skills. Speaking French gives access to the corporate world across the globe thereby providing greater opportunities for job engagements. French is considered as one of the easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn. There’s no doubt that speaking more than one language, especially French, is an enormous advantage in the Indian employment market as well Canadian employment market. Considering that it’s the official language of 29 countries and multiple other important regions, it’s an advantage in the international job market as well
Software testing is a process, to evaluate the functionality of a software application with an intent to find whether the developed software meets the specified requirements and to identify the defects to ensure that the product is defect free in order to produce quality product. Software testing also helps in identifying errors, gaps or missing requirements in contrary to the actual requirements. It can be either done manually or by using automated tools.
Machine learning (ML) is the study of computer algorithms that improve automatically through experience. It is seen as a subset of artificial intelligence. Machine learning algorithms build a model, based on sample data, known as “training data”, in order to make predictions or decisions without being explicitly programmed to do so. It involves computers discovering how they can perform tasks without being patently designed. It includes computers learning from data provided so that they carry out certain tasks. For simple tasks assigned to computers, it is possible to program algorithms telling the machine how to execute all steps required to solve the problem at hand; on the computer’s part, no learning is needed. For more advanced tasks, it can be challenging for a human to manually create the needed algorithms. In practice, it can turn out to be more effective to help the machine develop its own algorithm, rather than having human programmers specify every needed step. The discipline of machine learning employs various approaches to teach computers to accomplish tasks where no fully satisfactory algorithm is available.
|Name of Committee/Cell||Faculty In charge||Faculty Members|
|Value Added Programs||Dr.T Logeswari||Ms.Vybhavi, Ms.Shashilaka Ms.Helaria|
Part 1 – Languages
Question – Papers
Part 1 – Languages
Part 1 – Languages
CPU Scheduling Chapter 3
Deadlock Chapter 5
File System Chapter 8, 9, 10
Memory Management Chapter 6
Paging Segmentation Chapter 6
Process Synchronization Chapter 4
Virtual Memory Chapter 7
Chapter 4 – Deadlock Important Questions
Chapter 5 – Memory Important Questions
Chapter 6 – Virtual Memory Important Questions
Chapter 7, 8, 9, 10 – File System Important Questions